Hello Northwestern Families!
Now that we have wrapped up Wildcat Welcome for our new students, the Office of New Student and Family Programs is thrilled to gear up for Family Weekend for all Northwestern families, which is just around the corner! We could not be more excited for you to come back to Evanston to see your student and check out campus on October 18, 19 and 20. We know you have been patiently waiting for a more detailed schedule for the weekend; and since game time has not yet been announced, we are still in the process of finalizing the plans. In the meantime, we wanted to provide you with a brief update regarding the weekend:
Friday October 18
- Programming begins at 1:30 p.m. CST with each school or college hosting an event. You will receive more details about each open house the week before Family Weekend.
- At 2:30 p.m., we are excited to offer class sessions with faculty members here at Northwestern. The final details of these classes are still being determined.
- Later afternoon will consist of various information sessions from various University offices such as the Study Abroad Office, Career Services, and Counseling Services.
- Families will also have the opportunity to tour fraternity and sorority housing or to attend a student experience panel.
- Our evening programming will consist of the NU Revue, our Family Weekend student variety show. NU Revue tickets are free and will be available at the Norris Box Office website beginning Friday, October 4th. There will be two showings on Friday, October 18th at 7:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.
Saturday, October 19
- We invite you to attend the Family Weekend Tailgate which will start two-hours before kick-off. Food tickets will cost $10 per person for both students and guests, and will be available at the Norris Box Office website beginning this Friday as well.
- A Conversation with President Schapiro and University Administrators will take place either an hour before the tailgate or an hour after the game concludes, depending on the time of kick-off. This event will give you an opportunity to both hear from President Schapiro and other top administrators on campus, as well as ask any questions you might have.
- Finally, cheer on the Northwestern Wildcats as they take on Big Ten opponent University of Minnesota Gophers! The time of the game will be announced closer to game day. Remember, students are provided a seat in the student section at each game; if you wish for your student to sit with you; you will need to purchase an additional ticket for him/her. If you are still interested in purchasing game tickets or have questions about tickets you have already purchased, please call the Athletics Ticket Office at 888-GO-PURPLE (467-8775).
Sunday, October 20
- Time for reflection and relaxation with your student. For information about religious services in the area, please go to http://www.northwestern.edu/religious-life/
- Take part in the Krispy Kreme Run! During this one-of-a-kind 5K, you will have the opportunity to eat donuts at aid stations. For every donut you eat, you will have time subtracted from your running time. You don't have to eat any donuts if you don't want to! All runners will receive tons of free products and prizes will be awarded to the top finishers! Proceeds from the race go towards the Northwestern Triathlon Club and World Bicycle Relief. For more information, please go to: http://www.northwesterntriathlon.com/krispy-kreme-5k.html and to register for the race, go to: http://nbo.universitytickets.com/user_pages/category.asp?id=76
In summary, the NU Revue and the Family Weekend Tailgate are the only two events that will require a ticket this year. Tickets can be obtained from the Norris Box Office website at http://nbo.universitytickets.com starting this Friday, October 4.
Space for all of our other events will be available on a first-come, first-served basis. If you have general questions about Family Weekend, or wish to register, you can visit the New Student and Family Programs website at www.northwestern.edu/orientation or call our office at (847) 467-6100. A final Family Weekend schedule will be released in the next week.
We look forward to seeing you soon!
Patricia F. Hilkert Daniel S. MacKenzie
Director Assiatnt Director/Family Weekend Coordinator
New Student and Family Programs New Student and Family Programs
Northwestern University Northwestern University